Thursday, 25 October 2007

Good to be home


... but also bittersweet because we will miss our friends in Kenya!

Sorry that I disappeared for a while... the internet at the IU Compound became very unreliable and I could no longer access the site, let alone post on it, for a few weeks. After that I just got frustrated and stopped trying.

But now, our group is back home in the States, safe and sound. We have all started our next rotations, except for Megan, who has her month off! We had a terrible time trying to get home on British Airways - we were stranded in Nairobi one night, then London a second night, then finally home a full 24 hours behind schedule. With the travel delays, we only had a day back in the States before starting at our next site! Talk about a whirlwind week!

My latest rotation is at a Community Clinic in Lafayette, Indiana. The contrast between the needy in Lafayette and the needy in Africa is amazing. It makes me appreciate everything we take for granted here... running water, shoes, roads, technology. We have so much. We live in a society of just mind-boggling superfluity. In Kenya, the people face life-and-death issues everyday. Their struggles are on an entirely different level. And yet, the Kenyan people are so thankful, gracious, and kind.

I am very thankful for my experiences in Kenya. I hope that you have enjoyed sharing the stories and experiences with me. I welcome your comments, either on the site or email me at athornton@purdue.edu. Thank you, and take care!

No comments: