How can I summarize a week in another world?
I don't have any experience in hospital pharmacy in the USA, so this has truly been an incredible learning experience for me. I spent the week doing many things - meeting doctors, pharmacists and pharmacy technologists, learning my way around the hospital, working in the many satellite pharmacies, and going on rounds with the medical teams.
The first pharmacy I worked in was Main Pharmacy, which serves mostly out-patients and staff. The women in this pharmacy were friendly and boisterous - they loved to hear me try to speak Swahili! I would counsel a patient, "Mara mbili kwa siku: moja asubuhi, na moja jioni." ("Twice a day - one in the morning and one in the evening") and after the patient walked away they would erupt into giggles. "You did great!" they would tell me, "You're learning fast!" Their laughter was shared with me, not mocking me - they were genuine in their encouragement. The people here are so warm and generous - they have so little, and yet have an enchanting way of making a lot of what they have. Relationships, time, each other. Kenyans take strength from these things. I haven't seen the women in Main Pharmacy for a while - I will have to go and visit them! Amy, Jackie, and Patricia were the key people who helped me. We had a good time!
I also worked in Memorial Pharmacy for a short while and met Joel, Michael, Tom, and Agnes. Samuel is the pharmacist in the "Casualty" pharmacy (the emergency department), and I met Rose, there, too. Tony is the pharmacist in the Nyayo Wards, which are the wards for the Adult and Pediatric inpatients. He works there with Bilhac, Veronica, Beatrice, and Naomi. I'm trying to put down all these names and visualize faces so I can remember them better later! As you can see, there's a lot to keep track of without even getting started on the medicine and the patients!
Speaking of patients, I rounded a couple of times this past week, as well. It was very good to get more experience, and I benefitted very much from rounding with Sonak, my preceptor. He is brilliant, and works very hard for his patients. He makes a great role model. The doctors from the University of Utah are great to round with, as well. They are brilliant, knowledgeable, and do a good job of keeping the group focused on patient care. Sometimes the rounding team is so large that can be difficult! I'm starting to learn where I can make a difference in the hospital - making sure patients get the medicines they need, asking questions, checking doses, etc. With more practice I'm sure I will improve.
Now with the week almost at a close, I am looking forward to the safari we will take on the weekend! Who needs sleep!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment