So for our first weekend adventure, we decided to head out to Lake Nakuru... a moderate-sized Kenyan National Park. We were advised that the park was about 2.5 hours away. I have since learned that Keyan people have a different perspective on time. We left at about 3pm. After 2 hours in the car and no road signs indicating we were anywhere near Nakuru, we asked our driver, Paul, how much longer the trip would be. He told us we were about 2 hours away. True to form, at about 7pm we arrived at Midland Hotel.
We spent all morning Sunday on safari - the matatu has a roof that can be raised for wildlife viewing. We met up with a group of students from the University of Utah, and continued to tour through the park with them. Lake Nakuru is famous for its flamingos, and rightly so - there were millions of them throughout the lake and on the lakeshore. They made a mildly amusing, low honking sound as our matatu approached and we stepped out. We also saw monkeys, warthogs, impala, gazelles, baboons, water buffalo, and zebras. We got up close to some giraffes, and later some white rhinos. I have some great pictures of the wildlife, and if I can figure out how to post them, I will!
After the park, we went to a prehistoric site - Hyrax Hill. Human remains dating back 5000 years were found on the site. There was a small museum with some artifacts and replicas of the skulls. The real skulls are in Nairobi National Museum. We climbed the hill, and soaked in the great view of the Lake and Nakuru.
We ate lunch at a local restaurant, then packed up and headed home! Safari 1 was a great success - now I'm looking forward to white water rafting on the Nile in Uganda next weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment